LEARNING PHOTOGRAPHY ON THE RIVER
I am teaming up with The River’s Path offering a unique approach to learning photography while connecting with the Green River by canoe. Join guide Lauren Bond Kovsky and me for a guided canoe trip while learning photography!
- Gear handling and packaging for the River/Outdoors.
- Technical tools for Creative Outcomes.
- Finding, exploring and expanding your creative vision
- Seeing the details around you
- Photographing the people around you
- Photography EDU materials are included.
- Matt’s Basic Digital Photography Powerpoint
- Wonders of Photography Text featuring Matt’s work
- Follow-up accessibility
Green river, Utah ~ Labyrinth Canyon
9-DAY TRIP ~ JUNE 2-10, 2019 (exact dates TBD)
- Green River, Utah ~ Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom
- Follow-up online critique of your images to be scheduled after trip with individual help available!
- Critiques on the River and lots of exploring!
- Tripods available FREE!
$1,295 Early Registration
(Before April 15th…$650 deposit)
$1,495 after April 15th ($750 deposit)
Limited to 12 people!
St. Vrain Creek, Colorado
- St. Vrain Creek – Tributary of the South Platte River
- One day of paddling and learning photography!
- Afternoon critique. Professional review of your images using Adobe software to “work” them.
- Lunch included each day!
- Tripods available FREE!
Basic Digital Photography topics covered:
- Basic Camera layout & menus
- Aperture & Shutter as Creative Controls
- F-stop & Shutter as Exposure Controls
- Exposure meters, Zone System, Histogram
- Inside the Digital Camera
- Understanding of why you’re picking up the camera in the first place
- How Aperture & Shutter work in concert for creative outcomes and correct exposure
- Understanding digital ISO and how to use
Vision & Seeing topics covered:
- Compositional guidelines & the math behind the beauty
- Adapting your vision & Seeing how the camera sees
- Focal length to capture your vision
- Getting it right IN the camera, not fixing it in Photoshop
- Seeing light & learning to meter to capture what you see
- Metering, the Zone System & your Histogram
- What’s the difference?
- Which program is right for me?
- Basics of Workflow
- Digital Asset Management
- Digital Asset Management…DAM!
- Storing & Backing Up your images
- Basics of Adobe Bridge, Photoshop & Lightroom
- Tweaks, techniques & actions
- Topic 1: What are the Creative Controls and Why they Matter & Exposure
- Why are we picking up the camera in the first place? Taking the mystery out of the numbers.
- Taking the mystery out of Shutter Speeds, F-stops and ISO. Learn how they work together.
- Topic 2: Nature, People, Night Photography, Wildlife
- Different areas of photography explored…from Nature to People & Wildlife and capturing night photography and stars with the vision of creating timelapses.
- Post Trip: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom Online Critique
- Online critique of your images after the trip ends! Join Matt online and watch him post-process your photos and learn how to make them shine!
Some trips will have a follow-up show and critique.
Camera Equipment needed
- D-SLR, mirrorless or “bridge” camera capable of:
• Manual Exposure
• Display of Histogram
- Multiple memory cards
Computer Equipment needed
- External Hard Drives (recommend 2 – 1TB)
- USB thumb drives
- Laptop with Photoshop or Lightroom
NOTE: Not necessary for the River! These are suggestions for managing and processing images.
All my lessons include continued access to my videos, plenty of follow-up time for additional questions & photo review (within reason…full portfolio reviews and private tutoring available for a nominal fee.)