Hi. About me? Well...I've been doing this for a long time! I picked up a camera at 17 years old and started selling photos to the local papers. In college I earned reputation for spot news photography. I've shot from choppers, mountain tops, airplanes, boats and hanging off rock walls. I've had the opportunity to photograph a president...though no one liked that guy anyway.
For more about that stuff, look at my resumé. I'll give you a hint: Besides photography: Writer, editor, designer, executive director, creator of non-profit. To see what sparks my life enjoy the photos!
Now, I focus mostly on teaching others the art and business of photography. I mentor a number of former students and other up-and-coming photographers whose work blows me away. And that idea - of being blow away by great photography - is why I love to teach. Every semester I've taught, since 1995, I have always had at least one student blow me away with their vision.
Beyong teaching, I photograph dogs and focus on my Holga Toy Camera fine art. I still shoot wedding photojournalism for the right couples. I love capturing the right couple, in a church, in the middle of nowhere, on a dogsled, in a field of horses, on a River.
You get the idea.
Thanks for giving me a moment.
AWARDS & EXHIBITIONS
• NEWEST! 8th Annual International Color Awards One honorable mention in Americana category and 6 nominations. Five in Americana and one in Sports category.
• 8th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominated in categories…People & Sports;
• 7th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominated in four categories…Fine Art, People, Photojournalism & Sports;
• 6th Annual International Black & White Spider Awards Nominee in People, Honorable Mention in Sports
• Earlier International Black & White Spider Awards
~ Boys at the Circus
~ Sisters - Dreams of our Childhoods
• Center for Fine Art Photography ~ Portrait
(judged by photojournalist Mary Ellen Mark)
• the Art of Seeing book Coors Field & Santa Fe Plaza - Dreams of Our Fathers
• International Unrefined Light Exhibition Pallavacini Lift & Coors Field - Dreams of Our Fathers
• Prix de la Photographie, Paris" (Px3) Honorable Mention - Dreams of our Fathers - Santa Fe Plaza
• International Denver International Airport Invitational 2008: Mountain Guide
• International Denver International Airport Invitational 2009: Pallavacini Lift
• Center for Fine Art Photography Colorado Photographers Exhibition (Portfolio Award & Exhibition): "Dreams of our Childhood”
• WPPI International Competition Wedding Photography - Humor Category (3 images)
• WPPI International Competition Dog Photography ~ "the Bear"
1995-present Faculty: Photography
Colorado Mountain College & Isaacson School For New Media
ART 143 Basic Digital Photography
ART 138 - Photography I - Intro to SLR photography & basic B&W darkroom skills.
ART 139 - Digital Photography - Digital photography, Digital Asset Mgt., Basic Photoshop/Lightroom
PHA 213 - Interpretive Portrait - Photographing people with a documentary approach
• Vice President of Adjunct Affairs
• Adjunct Peer Mentorship Program • Adjunct "A-Train" training website developer
2013: Textbook Manuscript Review & Featured Photographer
• The Wonders of Photography by long-time author Dennis Curtain
2008-2010 Founder & Executive Director Lake Dillon Art Center
• creation of business plan, formation of 501(c)(3) non-profit & all associated legal work;
• social media awareness, branding, creation and maintenance of website, public relations, marketing programs including development, design and implementation;
• political activism & involvement, assisted in founding of Dillon Business Association;
• art programming development, costing & implementation; management of artists for Open Studios program, workshops, exhibitions; creation of galleries (gallery 108, gallery la riva, OBSCURA: for personal photography); creation of monthly First Friday art exhibitions, curating, marketing, hosting.
1994 - 2010 A Lit Production, Inc. Owner: Photographer, Designer, Janitor & Dog Treats
1991-1993 Breckenridge Magazine Managing Editor & Photographer
1991-1993 Rocky Mountain News, AP Contracted Stringer
1991 Black Star Agency Contracted Stringer, Israel
1990-91 Fort Collins Coloradoan Contracted Staff Photographer
1988-90 Summit Newspapers Chief Photographer/Writer/Columnist
1985-87 Taos News Regional Editor/Photographer
1982-84 Arizona Republic, Phoenix Gazette Northern Arizona Stringer Photographer
1981-84 Arizona Daily Sun Staff & Contracted Stringer Photographer